Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Flavored Butter of the Month Club

I just might be more proud of this gift than any other.  It's not that the gift itself is so wonderful, but the difficulty in determining a gift for its recipients (let alone a homemade one) renders it ingenious.


My dad and my husband's dad: two great, happy, impossible-to-shop-for guys.  They truly don't want anything.  So one day I was torturing myself, trying to think of something - anything - to make for my father-in-law.  In frustration, I said aloud, "I can't make him anything!  All he likes is biking and butter!"  Ah, butter.  The first love of both these fine, frequently carb-cutting men.  Inspiration struck and I started a club.  They will receive twelve fresh batches of different compound butters, one each month.


I started with rosemary butter and it turned out a bit salty, but tasty nonetheless.  Orange butter is next up, but I don't have firm plans after that, so please feel free to share ideas and/or recipes.


I didn't take a picture, but rest assured, the butter was pretty.


Cost: about $24 for butter (I hate paying more than $2/lb) and a negligible amount for rosemary.  I'm not sure how much I'll end up spending on other flavorings, so we'll guess maybe $35 total?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Molly, don't know if you're still doing this, but my cousin made this amazing cran-raspberry butter. I've made it once too and it is awesome!

    1 c canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
    ½ c raspberry preserves
    2 c butter, softened
    1 Tbsp powdered sugar

    Combine all ingredient in a mixing bowl, beat on high for 5 min. Mixture should be creamy. Spoon into a dish; cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Makes 3½ cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you still doing this? have you considered letting others be part of the club? my boyfriend would LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I'm not. If I ever revive it in the future, I'll let you know. Sorry to be so slow to respond!

      Delete