Saturday, May 15, 2010

Gifts #13-15: Mother's Day



Devin's grandma whipped out this cool roll/muffin/biscuit-serving device while we were visiting and I thought it would be the perfect thing to recreate for Mother's Day.  So we traced hers onto some paper, marked where all the seams go, and I made three roll holders: for my mom, my mother-in-law, and my grandma.


Once again, I forgot to take pictures along the way.  But now I want one for myself, so when I make mine, I can do a whole tutorial.


Basically, the roll holder (anyone have a better name?) is made of three double-sided fabric circles.  I cut out all the circles from two different fabrics, then matched one blue with one pink and serged them together.  Serging in a circle, by the way, was very scary but not actually that hard.


Then I pinned the bottom two circles together and sewed three seams all the way across:


You can see the seams if you really really try, or just picture cutting a pie into six pieces.

Next I pinned the last circle on top and sewed six seams, each half-way in between the bottom seams.  Does that make sense?  These were only about 1/4 across the circle, and only through the top two layers.  If you think it's hard to understand, try actually doing it.  I had to undo a few stitches that accidentally went through all the layers.

These are easier to see.

Last, I sewed on two snaps, as shown above.  And the finished product:


See how that works?  When you snap it together, 12 little roll-hugging pockets pop up.  Pretty slick.





I didn't get to give my grandma hers in person, but I enjoyed both my mom's and my mother-in-law's puzzled faces when they opened their gifts.  "Oh, how cute... what is it?"

Cost:
2 yards each of two fabrics (with leftover): $14
6 snaps (part of a set at the dollar store): $1
Serger thread (given to me by my grandma just in time and in a perfect corresponding color): $0

Total: $15 or $5 each

2 comments:

  1. yeah, I bet they were puzzled! I saw the title and I was still confused until that last pic AND explanation!! lol
    cute though. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! Who would've thought that you'd even need one? I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete