Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Vote: Best Edible Christmas Gift

What was the best edible Christmas gift you gave or received in 2009?

Today my husband baked chocolate chip cookies. Our neighbors gave us a roll of dough for Christmas, ready to slice and bake. This gets my vote! Every house is so loaded with sweets during the holidays, so a gift that you can enjoy on, say, January 12th instead, is a very welcome variation. A few cookies will be savored and appreciated much more on an otherwise uneventful Tuesday than they would be amid the usual holiday parade of candies, chocolates and baked treats.

Canned salsa, jam, and fancy shelf-stable foods also make great enjoy-later gifts, but the cookie dough is my favorite because, well, it turns into chocolate chip cookies. Need I say more?

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to say my neighbor's apricot syrup is our favorite. (Our other neighbor's plum-raspberry jam is a very close second.) Jon and I DIE over this syrup. It is so yummy! Luckily only one of our kids would try it, so there was plenty of it for us. Someday I'm planting an apricot tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rolo cookies...
    simple.
    irresistable.

    catie p.

    ReplyDelete