Saturday, January 30, 2010

Future Wedding Gifts: Jute Coasters



I got a wonderful Suss Cousins knitting book for my birthday that's full of things to make for your home.  I finally tried her pattern for coasters made out of jute twine.  Last night Devin & I watched about half of Pride and Prejudice while I made this set of four.


In case anyone tries this, I'd recommend using smaller needles than the pattern calls for.  It said US 9, which I tried, but the coasters were too loose and ugly, so I tried US 6, which worked much better. I also only cast on 9 stitches instead of 11 to make the finished product a bit smaller.  Keep in mind this was my first time knitting with twine, and I had a bit of a hard time since there's no give like there is with yarn.  Maybe her size 9 stitches are just as tight as mine with size 6.


I bought two rolls of twine at a hardware store with the intention of making a few sets of coasters.  The total was $4.79.  These four coasters used about half of one roll (I'm guessing - hard to tell when it's all wound up).  So this gift's cost so far is about $1.20.  Now what to put with it?  I was thinking of a bottle of sparkling cider for a simple gift or maybe a set of tumblers if I want to spend a little more.  Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment