Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gift #4: Charlie's I Spy


My son got one of these from his grandma for his 1st birthday.  It had too much filling so I opened it up a bit to take some out, and added a bunch more little things from Hobby Lobby while I was at it.  It's been a great church toy, and I think it will be even better when he gets old enough to keep track of the number of things he finds.


I told my friend Lindsey that I'd make one for her little boy Charlie.  That was probably a year ago.  I've had all these cool little items (tiny metal tools, plastic vegetables, buttons made to look like just about anything) sitting in a box ever since, just waiting for me to get my act together, which I finally did!


The window is a thin sheet of vinyl (hopefully not too thin), which I zig-zag-stitched to the flannel.  After that, I just filled it up with the trinkets and extra filling from last year, sewed the two pieces of fabric together and cut the edges into strips.  Voila!  Totally easy.  Totally not worthy of putting off for a year.  Oh well, at least it's done.  Now let's see how long it takes me to deliver it.


Cost:
Since I bought everything so long ago, I'm guessing here.  Most of the trinkets were from a $5 grab bag of buttons, etc., of which I probably used 5%.  The other, cooler things were doll house accessories, which can be a bit pricey.  Still, I only used a portion of what I bought, so I'm going to say $3 for those.  I did buy the vinyl and flannel, but used so little of it, that I'll just throw in another dollar for both.  So I'm guessing the total cost is about $4.25.  Not bad.  However, I haven't been able to find this filling anywhere, so had I not had extra on hand, I have no idea how much it would have cost.  They are little clear plastic balls, and they're a little bit squishy.  Does anyone know what this stuff is called or where to get it?

2 comments:

  1. i have seen these before!
    they are awesome.
    what a great idea!

    catie p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first I've seen your cute new blog and I love it! This is soo cute. Charlie seriously will STILL love it. He has now reassumed all the baby's toys for himself as well.

    ReplyDelete