Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gift #6: Jazz Lap Quilt

Preface: I am married to possibly the biggest Utah Jazz fan who ever lived.


Devin knew he was getting something homemade for Valentine's Day, and he (later) told me he wasn't convinced I could pull it off.  What could I possibly make that he would actually like?  Mostly he wants movies and expensive gadgets.


I was thinking the same thing...until I had the idea of making a quilt with Jazz fabric for him to warm up in while he watches the game.


This was my first time making a quilt, so I went the easy route and just slapped some batting between two pieces of cloth (thin cotton Jazz stuff on top, dark blue flannel on bottom) and sewed around the edges.  I did a second seam all the way around about an inch or so in from the edge to make sure the batting stayed put.  That way, when I tied it (with yarn from my stash), I didn't have to be too careful.  This is not a masterpiece, but it is long enough to cover Devin's always-cold feet, and he does love it.  See?




Ben yells at the ref while a very proud Devin looks on.


Total Cost (I'm not too happy about this): $30.19
I bought expensive thread for some reason, and I just didn't get great prices on the fabric.  The batting was 50% off, though.  If I'd planned better, I think I could have made this for a lot less.  It was a learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! What a thoughtful gift! Look at your cute boys under their new blankey!

    ReplyDelete