Friday, February 19, 2010

Mama Gift: Toddler Sheet and Pillowcase

I wanted Ben to have a boyish pillowcase, so last night I dug out some $2 fabric from a yard sale.  It was cut into two pieces, one of which was about perfect for a pillowcase.  So I just compared it to an existing case and sewed it up (with a 3" hem around the opening).  Piece of cake.  It took about 30 minutes, and I'm not even good at sewing.




When that was done, I thought it'd be a shame not to have a matching sheet, so I measured the other piece of fabric with my fingers crossed, and... well, apparently I had had this idea before.  It was already cut to 45" x 70" so I was ready to sew!  I followed this tutorial and soon had a darling little set.  I'm happy to report that I sewed with elastic all by myself (except while pinning it to the cloth - I borrowed two of Devin's fingers), which I had previously thought to be impossible.




By the way, do you have any ideas for that little dresser behind Ben?  It was a $7 thrift find last year.  I drilled holes and added knobs to the drawers, but it's always been strictly functional and I'd like to doll it up a bit.  Paint, cuter knobs, alphabet letters, ???  I don't know.  Anyone?

3 comments:

  1. mmm. i just love painting furniture...and using mod podge and fabulous scrapbook paper...your possibilities are endless! and cute knobs are super cheap at anthropologie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! i love how paint revives things. mod podge is something i want to get into but have never really done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is seriously impressive. I am totally daunted at the idea of making a sheet due to the elastic needs. really, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete